27 February 2012

How I made my own honeycomb paper

I am not sure of the "proper" technique, but today I am going to show you how I made my version of honeycomb paper. 

First of all I took a package of tissue paper.  I cut a length of tissue (as thick as the package of paper itself)   It looks to me that it is 9 sheets thick. 



Then I cut the long sheet that I had into thirds.  Now, you will lay one sheet out at a time.  This sounds confusing, but I have tried to take photos to show you how it's done. 
Let's pretend out sheet is a clock....first we are going to run a line of glue down the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock part of our clock. 
 

We will do the same with the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock line.  Now you will lay another sheet of tissue on top of this one. 


On this second sheet we will take out glue in between where we put the glue before...this time it is the 1, 7, 5 and 11 spots on the clock.




I see I am a little off on my clock, but I was making a simple honeycomb. This one works don't worry.  Place another sheet on top of this one.


  It you want it more complex honeycomb on this third layer put your glue lines at 2, 8, 10 and 4.  I did not go this in depth on this sample, but I will tell you it is much prettier if you do. 

From here you will alternate the clock glue lines and sheets.  One sheet do the 12, 6, 3 and 9...then next 11, 5, 7 and 2....and if you did the third pattern, 2, 8, 10 and 4. 

Keep repeating layers until you have used all your sheets of tissue that you have cut. 


Now we will put glue on the middle of the stack (I  do my glue lines in the next sequence), fold the stack in half.  Wait for it, it is about to be awesome.

Push down the stack so all the glue is stuck together.  Go ahead take a peek....see we made honeycomb!!!


I like to cut shapes out of mine...Today it was a heart.  You are all done!