01 July 2012

Little Suzi Homemaker????

Really?  I surely can't be talking about ME?  Nope, I am not, what I am talking about is the item that I made today.  Here is the story:

A few months ago I made vests for Trevor's drama club.  I kept the scraps.  They were not really big enough to do anything but I kept them anyway.  The remnants used today were 4 strips of red flowery fabric.  To this I added some white fabric that I got from my mother in law and I have literally had it for about 15 years.  To that I added some pieces cut from a red carpet party that we held for Hannah for a birthday party about 6 years ago.  As you can see from the main photo I made an apron.  I had wanted a nice one to wear when I have folks over for dinner, or when I just wanted to feel like Donna Reed.

This apron was made without a pattern, but I will try my best to walk you through it.  I have no measurements so I have measured the finished items.  I just sewed this up by sight.

All sizes are finished sizes:
Bib-12x13 (I just fashioned this to my size. I actually cut the fabric a couple of times before I started stitching. I cut 2 bibs.

Ruffles, since they were all from remnants, I just had to use what I had.  The bottom red ruffle is about 1.5 inches,  the bib ruffle is about .5 inches. The neck ties are actually made from the bib ruffle.  There was enough to use for the ties, then I took the rest and gathered it to use on the bib.

The skirt is about 24"x 40".  I gathered the top of it by using a very loose running stitch and hand gathering it.

First thing I did was take the gathered small ruffle (I gathered it first) and the ties and  sandwich them between the two bibs.  I stitched right sides together on 3 sides (the open side was the side that touches the waist).

Then I put the ruffle on the bottom of the skirt (it was gathered in the first steps.  I finished the edges by using a zig zag stitch.  I also stitched a small piece of the skirt material on top the (inside) to make the white thread not show up as much.

  The sides of the skirt were cut on the selvage so no need to hem that. 





The next step was to take the last piece of remnant and I fashioned a waistband from this.  There were 2 pieces and I stitched them together on the short side making a very long strip that was approx 2 inches wide and 59" long.  I folded it in half longways creating a 1"x59" strip.  Then I went in and folded 1/4 over on each edge just to finish the waistband.  Then I made a sandwich, waistband, skirt, bib, waistband.  I stitched it all together and bam I have an apron!