09 February 2013

The dollar bin birdhouse

I found this cute little birdhouse in the dollar bin at Michael's. I decided it would be good in my laundry room make over so I purchased it. It was a paper mâché finish. The first thing I did was gesso the entire thing so I could paint over t and get true colors to my paint.

I chose the colors that I have been using for my other utility room projects. I thought it might be nice to try an ombré effect since e that was so hip. One thing I dot usually rinse my brush between colors. Actually I hardly ever rinse my brush. You can tell, but I really like the effect.

Once my paint dried, I took some walnut stain distress ink and a new dry brush. I brushed the brush against the stamp pad then dry brushed onto the house. The effect turned out nice.